- Coordinating social services
- Public agencies
- Case Management
Technology is the key to accelerating social change. Rather than relying on dated systems like paper-based documentation and spreadsheets, nonprofit organizations and other social good organizations require powerful digital tools that can adapt to their needs. Specifically, case management software is a viable solution for many organizations to keep detailed records and manage their workflow.
In this guide, we’ll explain the importance of investing in a system that can handle your programs, cases, and projects with ease.
5 FAQs about case management software
Review these common questions to discover what case management software is and how it can help your organization. With this foundational knowledge, your software search should be a breeze!
1. What is case management software?
Case management software provides your organization with one central platform where you can track and store client data, such as contact and billing information, case notes, appointment scheduling and history, and client communications.
2. How does case management software work?
There are three main functions of case management software:
- Intake. Rather than manually collecting and inputting demographic and client needs information during initial intake, digital intake forms that clients fill out can capture necessary data in a matter of minutes.
- Case Management. Case management software helps to manage your workflow and address your clients’ needs by providing tools to record notes, answer service requests, flag issues, send and receive emails, and set reminders for tasks.
- Reporting and Evaluation. A case management system has robust reporting tools that help your team visualize trends and evaluate data. With reporting tools, you can quantify and qualify client success, rather than relying on anecdotes and estimations.
From gathering information to streamlining your workflow, adopting a case management system will help expand your bandwidth for client care.
3. Why is case management software important?
Case managers often work with dozens of clients and collect hundreds of data points. Keeping track of these interactions and metrics can be difficult without the help of a reliable tool like case management software.
A case management system stores your client information in one place, making it easy to:
- Increase productivity. Streamline data input and operations management with case management software. That way, your staff can log activities, make notes, delegate tasks, and schedule events within the same intuitive interface.
- Create reports. Client progress and other metrics can be easily tracked and displayed using the reporting tools in case management software. This gives managers and other senior employees an overview of how the agency is performing and help pinpoint opportunities for improvement.
- Collaborate between caseworkers. Information in the management system is automatically made accessible to employees working on a case, allowing for increased accountability and effective collaboration between different teams or departments.
- Reach out to clients. Caseworkers can communicate directly with their clients using their case management software. These communications are automatically tracked, so you never have to worry about missing important details.
With case management software, you’ll spend less time keeping track of your tasks, lists, notes, and deadlines, and more time on building meaningful connections with your clients.
4. Which organizations benefit from case management software?
From customer service representatives to doctors’ offices, any organization looking to bring order to an otherwise complicated workflow can benefit from case management software.
Human services and nonprofit organizations that still use paper to record client information can also benefit from case management software. Rather than storing records in file cabinets, with the right software, everything you need is available in a searchable database.
Employing a comprehensive software solution allows organizations to improve the accuracy of their data, ensuring that all staff has access to detailed and consistent client information.
5. What are some essential features of case management software?
The right case management platform should meet the unique needs and processes of your organization. Keep these key features in mind when searching for the best solution:
- Workflow automation. Case management software often has automated processes that reduce human error and improve data integrity while freeing up your team from administrative tasks.
- Mobile compatibility. A mobile-optimized interface allows your team to keep track of staff, customers, and resources, and get a snapshot of how your organization is performing at any time. This is also useful for submitting notes and completing tasks while out in the field.
- Secure data. With a case management system, you’ll have peace of mind that your customers’ sensitive data is secure. Not only does it keep your files safe, but the software also performs automatic and regular data backups, should a crash occur.
- Smart forms. Most software allows you to create forms, outcomes assessments, letter templates, and surveys that have smart features, such as auto-populated fields and e-signatures. These features help to improve the accuracy of your data and create a more convenient process for everyone involved.
- Integrated billing capabilities. With an integrated payment processor, you can invoice clients, create financial reports, manage grant funding, and track funds all in real-time.
These effective case management tools will help your team improve their workflow and ensure clients receive the best possible service.
Tips for choosing the right case management software
With so many case management software options out there, choose one that meets your agency’s tracking, reporting, and communication needs. While features are important to look at when deciding which system to choose, there are also many other questions to consider, such as:
- Does the provider offer quality, ongoing support?
- Is it easy to retrieve and report on the data you collect?
- Can the system be configured to fit your organization’s unique needs?
- Can you make minor system changes without having to go through the provider?
- Can the software (and the provider) grow and adapt as your organization grows and changes?
Finding a new case management system can take time and resources, but the right solution will make up the investment with increased productivity and impact. Explore Bonterra Program Management Case Management solution (formerly Social Solutions) to see if it meets your needs.
Next steps for investing in case management software
Ask yourself if your current process, whether you’re using software or paper tracking, is meeting your needs. If it’s time for an upgrade, start researching case management solutions to find a comprehensive, flexible platform to automate administrative processes and help you manage your workflow.